Saturday, September 25, 2010

Some Quick Thoughts on College

3-1 last week on the college picks to push the season record to 4-1. I didn't love anything early although I was leaning with NC St. Here are some brief thoughts on some later games. As with my pro picks in the previous entry, I like the chalk this week.

Stanford -4.5 at Notre Dame
If you are an Irish fan the good news is Brian Kelly definitely has this team on the right track despite some questionable in-game coaching decisions. The bad news is that he needs another recruiting class or two to get ND back among the elite. Dayne Crist is the real deal at quarterback for Notre Dame, but Stanford qb Andrew Luck is even better. I'm staying with the Cardinal this week as I don't think the Irish defense can keep it within one touchdown. On the Cardinal laying the points.

Oklahoma -14 at Cincinnati
Oklahoma was my lone loss last week as they never really had a shot to cover against a game Air Force squad. I expect better this week against a Cincinnati team which lost its coach, quarterback and best playmaker in the offseason. Boomer Sooner.

Alabama -7 at Arkansas
I like this line now that it is back to -7/even. Alabama is really good and having all their players back and healthy should be enough. I do think Arkansas is the real deal and expect them to make some noise in the SEC, but it just isn't going to happen today, even with Bill Clinton and Jerry Jones in attendance.

Florida St. -20 at Wake Forest
Wake's defense might be the worst in the country. I got against them last week at Stanford and they didn't disappoint giving up 62.  They may score 20, but they'll give up at least 45 today against an FSU team that seems to be back to it's winning ways after getting waxed by Oklahoma. This is an anti-Wake bet more than anything.

Auburn -3 vs. South Carolina
This is the Ol' Ball Coach's best team since departing Florida and the Gamecocks got a very impressive win on the road last week in Athens. Asking them to do it two weeks in a row is too much. Look for a surprisingly easy win for the Tigers.

No comments: